Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Wheel of Time Series - Robert Jordan



Reading this series so early in the year, and trying to marathon all the books back to back, was probably not the best idea when trying to complete a year long challenge of 100 books (I have since amended that goal to 80 books). I gave my self a serious case of burn out and had to switch to other pursuits to try and get my reading mojo back. 

That's not to say that I regret it - because I don't, not at all. I loved this series. It was just a lot of words; a lot of pages of world building and high fantasy, to read all in one go. And a good chunk of it while on vacation and doing nothing but reading.

There are low points of course, every series has those books that just aren't up to the same perceived standard or that you have to force yourself through - book 10, Crossroads of Twilight in this case - there is enough in the other books to make up for the transgressions.

Jordan's story of Rand and his friends is fantasy done right. The world building alone is phenomenal. There is enough detail (some say too much at times) and enough imagery that this could be a real world sitting just to the side of ours. The character development follows the natural and logical course of the characters lives. They change, they grow up, they let their environment and their circumstances become a part of who they are and who they shall be. Yes some are more likable than others, but the things that make them unlikable are their truly human flaws.

While I don't think anything will ever knock Eddings' Belgariad off the top place in my favourite fantasy series (it was my first, it will be my last), the Wheel of Time series has definitely wrangled its way up there in the rankings. I can see re-reads in my future, though I may stagger them out a little next time.

Over all, I give the series four out of five stars



And yes I realise that it is cheating a little bit to lump the whole series in with each other as one post, but that's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment