Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sightseeing

Its days like today that one has to stop and wonder about the mental stability of an entire generation of Cantabrians. Ours entire lives and foundations have been uprooted, chewed up and spat back out - counseling for a good many probably is not a bad idea.

I watched an iconic building get torn down today. I stood mere metres away as diggers tore at its core and brought it crashing down. I felt the reverberations through my feet from brick after brick and wall after wall being erased from all but memory. It was a strangely moving sight, the Carlton Hotel slowly getting smaller and small as the night grew dark and colder. And then to drive through the city (or at least the parts of the city that you are actually able to drive through without being arrested)....eerie; incredibly surreal.

I don't think that it is even able to be processed by the average human mind, what total cost this event has had on out environment.

I feel that I am coping but I am removed. Yes, counseling for a good many would probably be beneficial. Not everyone can watch a building be brought down after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment