Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mood Swings in the Aftermath of Disaster

Six odd weeks later and not only is it the landscape that has dramatically changed, but the people as well. I feel different - I know that I have said this before. And it only stands to reason that if I feel so intrinsically altered, then others around me are also new and "improved".

That is to be expected of course. No one could go through what has been happening around us and remain the same. But not all change is good. I, for example no longer have patience for things that I consider a waste of time. Panic, hysteria, needless worry, pessimism, negativity.... these have all been placed firmly in my "bad" basket and anyone indulging in them is now automatically disqualified from my good graces. I never used to be that quick to snap I swear.

My flat mate it would seem has a similar alteration of personality. Only hers comes in the form of what can only be described as bipolar mood swings. I understand that things are different now - I really do. And after having the flat to myself for the better part of six weeks I knew that there would need to be adjustments made. But I am not a mind reader - I never have been. If I didn't develop that particular skill growing up with my mother then I am unlikely to develop it now.

The silent treatment is also in my "bad" basket. It has always annoyed me but I used to be able to ignore it. Not anymore it would seem.

There is just something incredibly immature about not saying what is the problem. How can it be fixed if the offending parties are completely in the dark about anything other than your general irritability?

Ahh well, maybe time is the only thing that it needs. Time one way or another seems to solve everything. Either it will calm down or I will snap. Both options will provide an end - for good or for ill.

Until then I shall prepair for Easter. Making my own eggs this year - the moulds arrived yesterday. Its all very exciting. I am sure that there will be disasters and messes - but that is half the fun of trying something new is it not? Hot Cross Buns and home made eggs - who wouldn't want that as a gift come Easter weekend. And now that the road trip that had been planned has been canceled, there is more time for playing Easter bunny.

Might even make the dog an Easter treat. Poor little thing is injured and all the way over the other side of town with my Mum... this must be how our parents feel when we grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment