Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Thursday, May 21, 2015

Winter is Coming

Technically, I know that the month of May is actually autumn, but this year it seems as if we have gone straight from summer into winter, only with slightly warmer temperatures. Or at least so far we have - no snow or ice....yet.

But it very defiantly feels like winter. Its dark when I go to work (unsurprisingly since I star work before 630) and its getting dark when I get home. The longest day is still a month away, but the days are very noticeably short now. The joys of living so far south I suppose, we get the extremities of the seasons. And unlike when I lived further north, the days are not only short, but gray and gloomy. It wasn't until I came to Dunedin that I truly understood the concept of seasonal depression.

I'm not saying that I suffer from it, because I don't, not really. I do find now though that I hibernate far deeper than I ever did before. 

And the hibernation has hit hard and fast this year.

Curling up with a book in front of the fire has been on the cards this week, rather than a couple hours of stitching.My hands not preventing it now, thankfully. The cold still eats at it so gloves are a permanent feature now (thank you Ali Express for allowing the hand wear collection to grow fast), but it doesn't slow me down any more. 

I have nearly finished Garden Verses. Hopefully this weekend I can get it done. Its a busy weekend this week - the annul 24 hour book sale, the Capping Show and a Pink Ribbon breakfast - but I have hopes of getting it done in between. I'll wait until after the weekend now to take a photo of it though, it was raining and dark and gloomy when I got home from work every day so far this week so the light hasn't been particularly helpful, even with the flash on.

Probably why I have been reading so much really.

It makes a nice change. I had been beginning to think that by reading bug had abandoned me.Only something like eight books have been moved out of my 'to be read' pile this year - most unusual for me. But yay its come back - even if that return does signal the start of winter.

Since my laptop battery is about to die, I'll leave it there for today, but I will be back over the weekend. Tomorrow I have promised myself a shopping trip after work, plus its the book sale, so I will share any interesting goodies I find, plus I will post a review of the book I am reading once I finish it and process it, since I did say that I was going to combine my failed book blog with this one.... at least I think that's what I said.

Anyways
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment