Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Sunday, January 10, 2016

New Things

Hullo hullo everyone, hope the week has gone well all around. After only four days back at work, it doesn't bode well that I'm all ready trying to work out when I can take more leave but such is the never ending battle for those of us yet to win the lotto.

Like I  briefly mentioned the other day, I started Liz Almond's latest offering, Pandora's Box.

I was hoping to get completely up to date this weekend, since it looks like it back to six day work weeks for a little while, but these itty-bitty squares are more involved than I thought.

Several lessons have been learnt in doing this though.
  1. Buying hand dyed threads on line is hit and miss. This is another Carries Creation floss and I had thought it was going to be a lot more purple than it is shaping up to be.
  2. I don't like black work. Save the Stitches, as beautiful as it is, will never be being stitched by me. Black work  (to me at least, I know that plenty of people love it) is stressful and tedious and I just don't like it. 
  3. DMC  satin floss isn't as scary as I thought.
  4. I really love the effect of pulled thread work.
Not bad for a weekend. My MiL was amazed when I told her I'd only been working on this since Friday afternoon. Guess we are always going to be our own harshest critics when it comes to our crafts.

The rest of the week was taken up by reading. I wanted to finish Jurassic Park and after being back to work, that's all I felt up to. I did finish it, and surprisingly I really enjoyed it. I say surprisingly because even though I love the movie, it's the first of Michael Crichtons books that I've made it past the 50 page mark. 

I couldn't get over how different from the movie it was - but different in a good way. And I found the idea of science as the enemy really quite intriguing,  especially since I live with a scientist. Over all it was a 4 out of 5 for me.

Keeping with the movie adaptation theme, last night I picked up Arthur C Clarke's 2001 a Space Oddyssey. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'll keep you posted. I'm really hoping that the book sheds some light in that scene in the movie. You know the one. The whole acid trip into a bedroom bit near the very end. It took so many viewing for me to get that bit.

I just wish that I could read as fast as I can stitch. Or maybe I could if I sacrificed movies and time with the man. And I don't want to do that. Then I'd miss both him and fantastic movies like Pixels. It's brilliant. If you like 80 s nostalgia then I strongly recommend it.

And now it's Sunday night and it's back to the real world again tomorrow. Maybe I can get some more book done tonight while the man watches his weird indy movie.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment