Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Sunday, January 29, 2017

Day of the Frog

Hullo Hullo lovely people, hope you've all had satisfying weekend. I myself have been as lazy as possible to eek the last out of my leave. I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to tomorrow.

As I think I mentioned last time, I was off to the optometrist. I spent the afternoon Friday trying on pair after pair of glasses to narrow down my choice of new facial accessories. My eyes have changed as I thought they would have, but not for the worst as I was expecting. Turns out I'm getting less blind: 1 point in one eye and a full 2 in the other. I'm Stoked!  I've been told for years, by various people, that the amount of time I spend reading and cross stitching will damage my eyesight - more fool them!

 To celebrate my improved vision, I had a new start and a sneaky finish. Which if I'm being honest, I'm a little surprised about given how much time I spent frogging stitches this weekend.

New start first, a temperature book mark...



I saw this idea on another blog, and thought I'd give it a go myself. I've been watching with great interest all the people doing the stitch a day Challenge,  and while I love seeing the progress, it wasn't really something that I could see myself doing. The temperature record tickled my fancy however. 

If you've never seen them before, the idea is that every day you record the daily temperature. One mine, that amounts to six stitches, a three by two block. Each temperature relates to a colour - the same as on most weather maps - and each of those colours relates to a dmc floss. I'll post the colours that I use once I get all the kinks worked out.

I spent most of the weekend working on my geek culture piece.



I was doing pretty good too, until the frog came to town. Apparently even when following a pattern, my spelling ain't that great. I have a sneaky feeling I might have made a slight hole in the fabric while frogging - turns out one over one is a mare to u pick.  On a brighter note though, I made it up to the top row and it looks like I will have plenty of boarder to rechart the bottom portion of the pattern where the lack of width of my fabric will become an issue.

So since I was mad at that one, I put it in time out and pulled out a smaller piece.



And finished it.

To be fair, it is supposed to have a lot of back stick detailing - lace work around the cloth and corners. And I did do half of it. And then ripped it all out again. It just looked so clunky and messy. I much prefer it like this.

So first finish of the new year. That's pretty exciting-  at least I think it is.

Oh and I think that I forgot to mention that I had a go at making my own needle minder.



I can see why every thinks they are so great - defiantly a convert.

Hopefully I can keep that up once I go back to work. Tomorrow. Drag.
But that's the price we pay for adulthood, isn't it.

Ah well, maybe it won't be so bad. Hope your weeks all take you in the directions you want.
Till next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment