Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Thursday, February 3, 2011

Motoring Along the Highway of Life

I have always claimed that growing up is optional - that we don't need to place as much emphasis on age. But there are certain things that age us slightly - rights of passage on the path to adulthood. It is the same in many different cultures the world over; various tasks and quests and journeys that the young must undertake.... sure those in the Western World are far less dangerous and dramatic but they are there all the same.

Peter Pan was always a favourite of mine growing up. The idea that we could stay young and innocent indefinitely appealed. Maybe it was just that, coming from a broken home, my own innocence was banished far to early only to be replaced by cynicism as I was forced to become independent at age seven. I have always read to escape real life after all - if you are going to loose yourself then why not do it all the way in some fantastical tale...

Unfortunately though, Tinkerbell is not real and there is no magical fairy dust to make us fly to where ever the winds take us on the way to the second star on the right. Four wheels are more customary.

And so I bought my first car. Yes, it is many years after everyone else my age, but that said - I never had any trouble getting places until the earth started shaking things up and I started working at oh-god-its-early o'clock. Regardless, I bought my first car and am incredibly excited about it. Yes, It'll get me to work where the hypocrite lives, but that is a minor inconvenience - besides, I've already decided how I'm going to deal with her.

Everyone has their pet hates and their own morals and all the bells and whistles that go along those lines. Just because one person grates against everything I am doesn't mean that I should let it get to me. Especially when I am not alone in my opinions. The workplace is full of them. And one against six is hardly good odds. As long as my own behaviour is above reproach and I keep a log of all wrong doings, the day to day trials can be viewed with a slight humour I think.

Or at least that's the theory - we shall have to test it out.

At least if it fails there is currently no car stereo to interrupt theory-plotting time...

No comments:

Post a Comment