Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Dune - Frank Herbert



I wanted to like Dune, I really truly did.

But I couldn't.

And I am sorry.

I know its considered one of the classics of the science fiction genre, and well loved by millions of loyal fans world wide. I just couldn't bring myself to like it no matter how hard I tried.

No, that's not entirely true. I liked the idea of the plot. The sand worms and spice and links to the environment I thought were beautiful concepts. Its just a shame that my attention was constantly diverted away from that towards a clunky writing style that I had to fight against in order to emerse myself in said world, and lead characters that I had no empathy or intact feelings (beyond irratation) for.

I'm sorry. As a sci-fi fan I hang my head in shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment