Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Sunday, March 7, 2010

Bark Once for Yes

Do dogs all speak the same language?

I was watching my dog today and a few houses down there was another dog going to town with the barking. But Misha, my dog, couldn't have seemed to care less, he just lay there in the sun drying off after his bath. Now what I want to know is, was the other dog just talking shit, or did Misha just not understand what he was saying? Could Misha understand the other dog clear as me to you and just not care what it saying or would it have been like if my neighbour started yelling in Chinese - I would be able to here him clear as day but not have a clue what was being said.

I know that they have the whole pack body language thing that they all do - like sniffing butts and sitting higher than the lessers. But that is universal - to us certain actions look the same no matter where we are after all - 'don't shoot, I'm not armed' looks much the same in any language, as do most greetings and signs of jobs well done. But do dogs, like people have different languages for different breeds? Do bichon's bark different words to labs?

I guess I shall never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment