Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Sunday, December 19, 2010

Baptism By Fire

Starting a job, not only in the hospitality industry, but in a mall in the weeks just before Christmas is certainly jumping into the deep end with no idea of any rocks that might be in your path. From doing nothing much during the day to doing ten hours on your feet certainly takes some getting used to. Not to mention the learning of new processes and skills and dealing with the moodiness of the general population that comes hand in hand with this season...

The term 'baptism by fire' is certainly apt.

But that does not mean that I am not enjoying it - I am. I am enjoying being able to spend most of my day baking and playing with food. I am enjoying meeting new people - getting to know new work mates. And I am enjoying the kick start to driving that getting a job has required, not to mention the additions to my bank account that it has resulted in.

No, for all that my feet hurt and I think I am loosing my voice, this job is defiantly a good thing. I can even see the advantages of becoming a morning person - no matter how naturally nocturnal I may be. And once I settle in a bit more, get a routine going and my own wheels so I am not dependant on anyone else I think I can see myself really getting into it. And I am sure that once I get myself settled in it all I will be able to fall once more into my writing.  Once the stressful season leaves us behind and we can all breathe once more.

But Christmas is like that isn't it? It is supposed to be this time of rejoicing and spending time with loved ones and family and yet we spend the entire time rushing around in a mad panic like headless chickens. It is frantic and stressful and crowded and that detracts from the peace that it is supposed to be.

Not much to be done about it though - except stop celebrating the holiday. But wheres the fun in that. At the risk of seeming materialistic I like presents. So onward we must press. Two more weeks and the madness will be over for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment