Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Growing Up is Always Optional

Time doesn't stop. It never has and it never will no matter what the human race as a whole has to say about the matter. Day comes after day; week after week; month after month; year after year... and as each one - week, month or year - passes, the next seems faster until lives seems like nothing more than blurs flying through the ether of the world.

And we age. We start as babies. Perfect clusters of cells and DNA that form a living being totally dependant on parents. Parents that mold and shape us into children. Children that sprout and rebel into teenagers. Teenagers that somehow survive to become adults that then start the shaping process with little people of their own....

The numbers on our ID cards get larger and larger. With any luck, the increase brings with it wisdom and maturity. But not always.

We get older. And there is absolutely nothing that we can do about it.

But growing up is always optional.

When it comes right down to it, age is just a number. All it is, is a visual representation in what every language you use to mark how many of a particular period that you have seen since leaving the warmth and security of your mother womb. That is all.

Pointless really in the grand scheme of things.

And yet for some reason, so much emphasis is place on it. Surly it is more important how we feel, deep inside where we secretly let ourselves be who we truly are.

I don't feel 24 in that tiny corner. In that tiny corner I don't feel at all - at least not in regards to age. I am merely me in that small warm, dry, safe space within.

I like that place. Maybe I should endeavour to grow it. In that place it doesn't matter about bills and jobs and houses and cars and responsibilities and associations and love and hate and judgment and rules...there is only me and I float on a beautiful tranquil cloud where everything is perfect...

Reading that back, it makes me sound like I have been smoking something that I possibly shouldn't have been - but I assure you that is not the case. Just feeling introspective. If I can understand what it is that makes that cloud so perfect, perhaps I can make it real and wont need to retreat to it so often in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment