Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Monday, January 24, 2011

He Who Wishes to be Obeyed...

Now I know that it has been a couple of years since I wrote that paper on Niccolo Machiavelli's work "The Prince", but I know that I got an A for it so the information must still be in my brain somewhere...

He was a wise man that Machiavelli: "He who wished to be obeyed must know how to command"; "It is not titles that honour men, but men that honour titles"; and my personal favourite, "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

My memory may be failing me, but I'm pretty sure that there was no mention of a leader being so arrogant that they piss everyone off but not have the goods or the authoritativeness to back it up.

But perhaps I am just being over sensitive. Maybe the derisive tone that is used toward me after just two days doesn't really imply that a monkey could do my job and I deserve to be treated like an uneducated eight year old... maybe that's just the 24 year old with two degrees looking too far into something.

I doubt that though.

Not when everyone else picks up on it too. Not to mention receives similar tones themselves.

One would think that when starting in at a new job, one would learn the ropes slightly before stepping on your colleagues toes.... then, what do I know really - I'm just a baker... Oh for the legally required probationary period to be over... another month an a half and chances are I will have no tongue from biting it so much to stay quiet.

Though that does bring to mind another saying - though not Machiavelli this time. "Never bite the hand that feeds." Probably shouldn't piss off the baker if your going to eat food that comes from her kitchen for lunch. Especially when there is a chemist next door and the baker has a quick hand.

But maybe I judge too soon. We have all already agreed on two weeks. But if nothing has changed by then... Well we shall just have to keep record shan't we; after all, "before all else, be armed."

No comments:

Post a Comment