Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Cat Lady

I nearly got a kitten today. I was the cutest little thing I have seen in a long time. Tiny and frail; grey and white with glacial blue eyes and a calm disposition.

If I was a more spontaneous person I would have claimed the infant she-cat as my own. But alas I am not and so now I must mourn the loss of what never was. There were be other kittens though, I am sure. They are always saying that they struggle to find homes for them all.

But as I berated my self for my unusually slow thinking I was warned that owning such a pet would be the first step in becoming an infamous cat lady. And that was clearly something that nobody wanted. Someone destine to be alone and surrounded by furred companions because those of the two legged varied steer away.

What I don't understand though, is how can the ownership of one cute little innocent being be the cause for eternal loneliness. If I bought home another puppy - a creature that generally demands far more attention than a cat - I wouldn't be marching on the path to spinsterhood.

Perhaps it was just that he is not a cat person himself. Perhaps he just doesn't understand, what with being a hermit and all.

An animal cant control the future of a person. A person struggles to control their own future more often than not so passing the blame on to a fur ball that could fit in the palm of my hand seems excessive.

No, one kitten wouldn't make me a cat lady. If I shut my self off from the world and only paid attention to the cat and not to the people that I see day by day and call family and friend - then I probably would be. But I don't see that happening. I like people too much.

There will be other kittens. Just as there will be other puppies and other fish. Especially know that I have worked through the fear I held within for so long when it can to domestic companions. And no matter what pets accumulate through my time, they will hold no sway as to the outcomes of my life. Animals are companions not dictators. Something that should be kept in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment