Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sunny Days

It is utterly impossible to be in a bad mood on a sunny day - at least I think it is. It doesn't matter if your seat is kicked on the bus constantly, or your mp3 player battery dies while still in transit, or you work into a door and bruise your arm.... you get the point...

It doesn't matter what all goes wrong, when the temperatures are high and sky is clear, it is very difficult to work up enough energy to be upset. It is easy to see hope and brightness in the days ahead - the hypothetical light at the end of a long metaphorical tunnel.

This coming summer will be a good thing I think. It has been a dark year; a long year with very little worth celebrating. But it is November now - nearly half way through. The year is nearly over, the summer only 19 days away - my 24th birthday only a month off, and the thought of that is somewhat... lightning. Freeing. I know as we get older - women especially it seems - tend to shy away from birthdays, using it as a milestone for time lost and things not done. But somehow, this year at least, the annual turnover can only be seen as fresh start and a new beginning. It is time to was away the bad things that have happened (not forget about them though, because it through our trials that we grow) and create the future that I want. It is not as simple as that, I know, but nothing worth doing is every easy.

Cliches are cliches for a reason.

There are exactly 31 days until my birthday, so between now and then I will plan. And that will be my fresh start. My 24th year will be my new start.

Plans it seem agree with me after all - for the second week of NaNoWriMo I have met my weekly goal with days to spare. 23,000 words and counting. I applaud all the people that have the ability and have already cracked the magical 50K mark -  they more than deserve the praise. But small and steady, achievable daily and weekly goals seems to be working - working enough that I hope I can continue it other aspects of my life - so why should I rock the boat. If I think too hard about what the others are doing I will only get discouraged.

Competition is powerful tool - but it can also be a dangerous weapon.

No comments:

Post a Comment