Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Friday, November 19, 2010

Taking Stubborn to the Next Level

There are times when it is not only pointless, but completely irrational to hold true to something. In this case, it is my dogged quest not to read the Harry Potter novels. I read half of the first one when I was in high school - everyone else was going gaga over them but I just couldn't get into them. Now the whole thing is spiralled out of control to just being out of principle. I haven't read them because everyone else has.

Stupid I know.

Especially since I have seen all the movies, including Deathly Hallows Pt 1, which I just saw tonight. Its not too bad - and for a two and a half hour movie at least it doesn't feel four, which is more than can be said for a lot of long movies....but I digress.

I refuse to attempt to read the books again and yet I will willing see the movies. Sure I had to be physically dragged to see the earlier ones, but I walk freely into them now. Though, as we were walking out I was asked what it would take for me to try reading the books again. Slow painful illness was the general opinion.

My logic baffles even myself.

So a watchable movie with good company rounded out an alright day. So I didn't get the job I interviewed for yesterday (at least I'm going with I didn't since I didn't hear anything and the training would start in about... 10 hours) But I did get another chapter of Revelations written. That means that 30 of the roughly 39 chapters are finished and pushes the word count for the month over 35k.

Focus on what is achieved not what is lost.

See, I am trying.

Just not trying enough to drive me to read Harry Potter. I like my stubbornness. It has served me well.

Chances are that it will be stubbornness that gets me to sleep tonight. Ever since the earthquake the people that have take up residence in the tent down the street have decided that four day parties are the way to get through their pain of loss. I don't begrudge anyone their fun - and I defiantly don't judge them for loud and eclectic tastes in music, doing so would be hypocritical. But as much as I love cheesy early 90's pop (which is roughly as much as the next person) being jolted awake by a sudden burst of MC Hammer at 5 in the morning does take some of the gloss off a catchy tune.

As does a rousing drunken chorus of The Cranberries.

But then I guess it is not like I actually have to get up with a purpose first thing in the morning.Though, that said, writing does tend to flow better when I'm not tired. Plus, we never know what tomorrow might bring - for all that we know it will require full capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment