Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is
detached
SIMONE WEIL


Friday, November 19, 2010

Reverse Goal

It would be very easy to let myself become bogged down in the knowledge that others are succeeding in their careers. Especially in a job that I myself interviewed and trained for. It could be easy to say to myself that they are living the life that I should have had instead of being proud of them.

But I am not them. Even though me and Rachael (who from this points on wants to be known by a code name - lets see what she comes up with) have the same degree, I don't have her temperament. I know now that I couldn't succeed in the job that she has. It would slowly kill me. So even though she won the job at the end of the day, I can, with 100% sincerity say that I am proud of her achievements.

I may not know what I want to do with my life anymore (well, at least in the interim until I can achieve the scary super goal of being successfully published) I at least am starting to get an idea of what I don't want out of life. A little late, but that is better then never. After spending so many years doing the 'right' thing or the 'expected' thing I am finally doing attempting to do the right thing for me. Its not particularly easy, and I cop a lot of slack for it, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

It has to be right?

One day I will be able to look back on this year and say that the struggles are what made me. I just have to keep looking forward.

Look forward, for example, to the lunch I have been asked to cater on Sunday. Very excited about it. Complete strangers asking for me - well my cupcakes, that just happened to morph into an entire meal. It is an honour to be sure that something that I make is received so well. I just hope that the rest of it goes well. I'm sure it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment